[Pdl-porters] all I want for PDL-2.008 is my two...
Chris Marshall
2015-01-18 16:06:16 UTC
We're coming up on the end of January and the PDL-2.008 release. If you
have any essential features, fixes, improvements you would like to see
in PDL-2.008, now is the time to wrap them up. I'm working on a few
myself but I'm fine with getting an official PDL-2.008 out this month.
CPAN testers look good and there are some fixes and improvements versus
PDL-2.007 that are worth a broader venue.

--Chris
Ed .
2015-01-18 16:15:35 UTC
Good news about upcoming 2.008.

There are a couple of things the upcoming EUMM will change that will require
little tweaks to the current PDL build system (although mostly I've made
EUMM be back-compatible). Is a sourceforge merge-request the best method?

If you have time, I would be interested if you could expand (in a separate
thread) very briefly why you prefer sourceforge over github.

Ed

--Chris
Chris Marshall
2015-01-18 18:45:58 UTC
Nice to hear from you Ed .-
Post by Ed .
Good news about upcoming 2.008.
There are a couple of things the upcoming EUMM will change that will
require little tweaks to the current PDL build system (although mostly
I've made EUMM be back-compatible). Is a sourceforge merge-request the
best method?
A merge request is good. As soon as you are satisfied, we can push
another devel release for CPAN Testers to chew on.
Post by Ed .
If you have time, I would be interested if you could expand (in a
separate thread) very briefly why you prefer sourceforge over github.
I don't think discussion of github vs sourceforge is productive for
either of us. Specifically, I would like to spend my time working to
fix some long awaited fixes that I think can now be pushed through. For
you, I think it would be more helpful for PDL development if you could
address the following (my ideas, not a requirement):

1. Update Inline::Pdlpp docs for your new Inline feature support. My
understanding is that it makes things simpler to do, up-to-date docs and
tutorial for the wiki would be nice.

2. Update DEVELOPMENT to include the git rebase work flow. See my post
to the mailing list on this topic at
http://mailman.jach.hawaii.edu/pipermail//pdl-porters/2015-January/006581.html
for the original query. I think moving to a rebase workflow would
enable developers to work with either the sf.net git directly, or
through the mirror on github that Mithaldu has set up.

3. Tutorial on rebase git workflow and help setting up commit filter to
enforce.

--Chris
Ed
-----Original Message----- From: Chris Marshall
--Chris
Ed
2015-01-20 00:22:58 UTC
Hi Chris,

Nice work in merging the MR so quickly, and closing it and the previous one.
Suggest dev-releasing this to see where we're at.

I still have a few tweaks, but I think it's nearly there. I want to get it
reliably parallel-building in its current state - this works with EUMM git
latest on Windows, (ran through 3 times with gmake -j8), but not on Linux,
so there will be tweaks needed.

Just looking at current remaining non-master branches, I see two groups:

Legitimate topic branches:
remotes/upstream/core-cleanup
remotes/upstream/longlong-double-fix

- please keep rebasing and force-pushing these, guys - suggest one person is
nominated so you don't duplicate effort.

Historical excrescences:
remotes/upstream/cpan_2.006_release
remotes/upstream/cpan_2.007_04
remotes/upstream/cpan_2.007_release
remotes/upstream/release_2.4.10

- I want to go back and unify the history so each CPAN version tag
accurately reflects the dev process but is one stream. This will involve one
force-push, one time, with everyone doing a "git pull --rebase". If we do
this, I can guide anyone through it, it's really not scary.

On your other points:
* Inline::Pdlpp docs are fine as is - my work is more relevant for people
writing XS (currently only easy with C, but I'm working on making it
properly easy for C++ too).
* I don't think a commit filter is necessary, but I could be persuaded.
However, you can't possibly expect me to work on this when I don't have push
access myself.
* Dev doc updates - I will look into this, I'll probably just excerpt from
and link to someone else's words on this.

Ed

--Chris
kmx
2015-01-21 21:54:15 UTC
Chris,

is there still a reason for having default:

WITH_PLPLOT => 0 # which means disabled

instead of

WITH_PLPLOT => undef # which means try to detect

--
kmx
--Chris
Chris Marshall
2015-01-22 11:17:02 UTC
Yes. The last status was that the PDL::Graphics::PLplot build did not work.
If it can be checked out with the new PLplot then I would be happy to
change the setting.

The latest release of PLplot allows me to build on cygwin but I haven't
had time to try it out myself. This would be a nice addition for PDL-2.008.

--Chris
Chris,
Doug Hunt
2015-01-22 15:58:58 UTC
Hi Chris: The last I knew, PDL::Graphics::PLplot was working fine. I'm
using an old version of PDL (2.4.11) for my production software, though.

What is it that breaks, and how best to test it? I'd like to get this
working, but I have not been keeping up with the latest PDL development.
Is PDL on git now, or is it still officially in Source Forge SVN?

Best Regards,

Doug Hunt (author and (sometimes) maintainer of PDL::Graphics::PLplot)
Post by Chris Marshall
Yes. The last status was that the PDL::Graphics::PLplot build did not work.
If it can be checked out with the new PLplot then I would be happy to
change the setting.
The latest release of PLplot allows me to build on cygwin but I haven't
had time to try it out myself. This would be a nice addition for PDL-2.008.
--Chris
Chris,
Chris Marshall
2015-01-22 16:42:11 UTC
There were a number of issues reported that may be fixed.
I can change the setting for the next CPAN developers release
but we still need someone to test whether everything works or
not. I would have done this already but only since the last
PLplot release has it built on cygwin and I have yet to have time
to test the PDL::Graphics::PLplot install.

--Chris
Post by Chris Marshall
Yes. The last status was that the PDL::Graphics::PLplot build did not work.
If it can be checked out with the new PLplot then I would be happy to
change the setting.
The latest release of PLplot allows me to build on cygwin but I haven't
had time to try it out myself. This would be a nice addition for PDL-2.008.
--Chris
Chris,
kmx

Ed
2015-01-22 16:45:36 UTC
Two questions:

1) Doug, does PLplot need updating from the currently-included version with
PDL 2.007_08? If so, please either do so on git master, or tell me where to
get it and I'll include it in my next MR, along with a switch to default to
"undef" so it tries to detect.

2) A wider question: given the convenience these days of using eg "cpanm
Module::Name" which brings in all the dependencies of a module
automatically, is there still a reason to bundle in all the non-fundamental
PDL modules such as the Graphics ones, the IO ones...? I'm NOT proposing to
change it for 2.008, but I have experimented here with breaking them up and
it does make development much quicker since each build and test obviously
takes less time. Another benefit would be to allow separate development on
each component.

Ed

Chris Marshall
2015-01-23 01:32:56 UTC
Post by Ed
1) Doug, does PLplot need updating from the currently-included version
with PDL 2.007_08? If so, please either do so on git master, or tell
me where to get it and I'll include it in my next MR, along with a
switch to default to "undef" so it tries to detect.
2) A wider question: given the convenience these days of using eg
"cpanm Module::Name" which brings in all the dependencies of a module
automatically, is there still a reason to bundle in all the
non-fundamental PDL modules such as the Graphics ones, the IO ones...?
I'm NOT proposing to change it for 2.008, but I have experimented here
with breaking them up and it does make development much quicker since
each build and test obviously takes less time. Another benefit would
be to allow separate development on each component.
See the mailing list archives for past discussion on this topic.

The summary is that splitting off the non-core PDL modules would offer
exactly the benefits you suggest---faster updates, etc. Two issues
that need to be addressed (per the previous discussions):

1. A significant number of users want to keep the PDL kitchen sink variant

2. The support for non-core PDL modules is not symmetric with core ones

I think a PDL bundle could address the first. For the second we need
to see where the cracks/differences are and figure out what can be done
to fix.

--Chris
Ed
-----Original Message----- From: Doug Hunt
kmx
2015-01-25 21:42:37 UTC
Post by Chris Marshall
Post by Ed
[...]
Maybe the first step might be making it more obvious that some part of PDL
distribution are in fact separate modules.

For example instead of:

./Graphics/PGPLOT/
./Graphics/PLplot/
./Graphics/TriD/
./IO/GD/
./IO/HDF/
./IO/IDL/
./IO/Pnm/

Let's create 'Extras' subdir in the distribution root and move the
directories like this:

./Extras/PDL-Graphics-PGPLOT/
./Extras/PDL-Graphics-PLplot/
./Extras/PDL-Graphics-TriD/
./Extras/PDL-IO-GD/
./Extras/PDL-IO-HDF/
./Extras/PDL-IO-IDL/
./Extras/PDL-IO-Pnm/

So that that each ./Extras/<module-name>/ can be anytime later also
released as a separate distribution on CPAN. And even more later removed
from PDL core distribution.

It will require some changes in Makefile.PL's and global config handling
and maybe couple of other things but it IMO doable.

Anyway kind of "after 2.008" suggestion.

kmx
Ed
2015-01-26 01:07:58 UTC
kmx,

Have you been peeking in my local git PDL repo? ;-)

Ed

kmx
Doug Hunt
2015-01-26 16:21:32 UTC
Hi Ed, Chris: There have been changes to PDL::Graphics::PLplot from the
version currently packaged with PDL. I'll download the latest PDL and
the latest plplot, make sure it works and then merge in the changes.

I have not used GIT much, what is the current procedure for doing this?

Thanks,

Doug
Ed
2015-01-27 01:59:08 UTC
Check out the git repo using whatever is the Read/Write version on
sourceforge (I don't know). Copy your new code over the top of the existing
code in the correct place. Do "git commit -am 'New PDL::Graphics::PLplot
version", then "git push".

Alternatively, as a one-time thing, email me with the new code and I will
make a Merge Request with it updated.

Chris, please merge my "Merge Request" with build system updates.

Chris Marshall

Ed
2015-01-27 13:42:09 UTC
That's kind of implied. The question asked, and answered, was about how to
do things in git.