[Pdl-porters] use 5.10.0 in PDL-2.008
Chris Marshall
2015-01-28 11:44:19 UTC
It seems that now might be a good time to bump
the officially supported perl version for PDL-2.008
to perl 5.10.x.

Comments welcome (ASAP). I'd like to see the
change in the next CPAN developers release of PDL.

Thanks,
Chris
Ahmad Zawawi
2015-01-28 13:02:01 UTC
Hi Chris,

Wouldn't it be better to simply use v5.14 instead of v5.10?

Perl maintenance and support policy
http://perldoc.perl.org/perlpolicy.html#MAINTENANCE-AND-SUPPORT

P.S. Are there any plans for Perl 6?

Regards,
Ahmad
Chris Marshall
2015-01-28 14:48:12 UTC
The move to 5.10.x is for the PDL-2.008 release and the reason
for the small step is that PDL is used in working environments
which are not able to be updated continually to maintain perl
parity.

One of the reasons for working to spin off PDL external
dependency modules is to reduce the size and improve the
reliability and portability of the PDL core.

Regarding Perl 6, it should help that the PDL3 work is targeting
modern OO programming which came to perl5 from the perl6
development work. Has Perl 6 been released?

--Chris
Ahmad Zawawi
2015-01-29 08:45:59 UTC
Thanks for your reply,

Please take a look at this wonderful Perl 6 blog post by Larry wall:
https://perl6advent.wordpress.com/2014/12/24/day-24-seeing-wrong-right/

Near the end, Larry wall writes, '...sometime in 2015 we'll finally be at a
point where we can just decide when to tag the next release as 6.0.0.beta.
And maybe we'll keep it in beta until 2015-12-25..."

Where is the PDL3 branch? Is it on github or sourceforge?

Regards,
Ahmad
David Mertens
2015-01-31 20:40:41 UTC
FYI, PDL-esque capabilities is one of two or three major features missing
before the p6 folks declare victory. And in case you didn't hear, they're
planning on declaring victory this coming Christmas. And in case you didn't
hear, MoarVM supports (some) machine-code jit generation:
http://moarvm.com/features.html.

All of this means that there's actually some chance that Perl6 code
operating in for loops on native typed, multidimensional arrays could be
"fast enough" for many of PDL's use cases.

David
B. Estrade
2015-01-31 20:52:56 UTC
Sent from my iPhone
Post by Ahmad Zawawi
Hi Chris,
Wouldn't it be better to simply use v5.14 instead of v5.10?
Perl maintenance and support policy
http://perldoc.perl.org/perlpolicy.html#MAINTENANCE-AND-SUPPORT
P.S. Are there any plans for Perl 6?
This is s loaded question given that Perl 6 is not a replacement for Perl 5.

It's easy to envision a "PDL for Perl 6", but it's likely look very different than what you see today.

Brett
Post by Ahmad Zawawi
Regards,
Ahmad
2015-01-28 13:49:44 UTC
It seems that now might be a good time to bump
the officially supported perl version for PDL-2.008
to perl 5.10.x.
+1

And I vote that we celebrate every Australia Day (Jan 26) henceforth by
incrementing the supported version by 0.02.

Cheers,
Rob