[Pdl-porters] Test::PDL inclusion for PDL test suite
Zakariyya Mughal
2015-02-01 23:06:43 UTC
Hello everyone,

What would it take to get Edward Baudrez's Test::PDL included in the
main PDL distribution? It seems useful for testing PDL itself and has
better diagnostics than just using `approx()`.

We could either:

a) Make it a part of the PDL API by add the module under `lib/` and have
it available for all users of PDL.
b) Put it under `inc/` so that it can be at least used by the PDL test
suite. This can be done as part of the dist build process so that it
doesn't have to be in version control.

Cheers,
- Zaki Mughal
Edward Baudrez
2015-02-03 09:08:39 UTC
Hi

Glad you like my work. You're of course welcome to include it in the main
PDL distribution. You may want to take the sources from the CPAN dist
instead of from Github, because I use Dist::Zilla to manage my
distributions, and some pieces are missing from the Git repo (e.g.,
$VERSION assignment, license, ...). You might also want to remove deep
comparisons, and the dependency on Test::Deep. I found those useful for my
work, but I doubt if it is more generally useful.

Maybe it would be useful to rename the module when it is included in PDL?

Also, thank you to the PDL authors for their work, and to Zaki for taking
up the work of cleaning up the PDL test suite (I once promised to do that,
but have never got to it).

Best regards
Edward