[Pdl-porters] SciPDL-2.007 for Mac OS X
Chris Marshall
2013-11-09 21:32:21 UTC
PDL-2.007 is testing on CPAN Testers at almost 99.5% PASS
so it is probably time for us to release a SciPDL to go with it.
We don't want to leave all the non-guru Mac users out in the
PDL cold. :-)

Volunteers anyone?
Chris
Derek Lamb
2013-11-10 00:24:24 UTC
I think I can do it (I have all the external dependencies) but I have no idea how--instructions from Matt K. or KGB would be really helpful!! Then we could put them on the wiki.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/pdl/index.php?title=Developer%27s_Corner#Building_SciPDL_for_Release
is empty

Derek

Chris Marshall
2013-11-18 00:16:18 UTC
Any progress with SciPDL? Once the Storable and hidden double
conversion/truncation are resolved, it would be nice to be ready to go
with SciPDL.

--Chris

Craig DeForest
2013-11-18 00:21:05 UTC
I have not looked at SciPDL (yet). Admittedly, I've been sort of waiting to see if someone else would do it first... :-)

Karl?

Matthew Kenworthy
2013-11-18 08:14:45 UTC
I'll have a go at a rebuild - let me know when the issues are resolved and
I'll go ahead and rebuild.

Matt

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 1:21 AM, Craig DeForest
<***@boulder.swri.edu>wrote:

> I have not looked at SciPDL (yet). Admittedly, I've been sort of waiting
> to see if someone else would do it first... :-)
>
> Karl?
>

> On Nov 17, 2013, at 5:16 PM, Chris Marshall <***@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Any progress with SciPDL? Once the Storable and hidden double
> > conversion/truncation are resolved, it would be nice to be ready to go
> > with SciPDL.
> >
> > --Chris
> >
> > On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 7:24 PM, Derek Lamb <***@boulder.swri.edu>
> wrote:
> >> I think I can do it (I have all the external dependencies) but I have
> no idea how--instructions from Matt K. or KGB would be really helpful!!
> Then we could put them on the wiki.
> >>

> http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/pdl/index.php?title=Developer%27s_Corner#Building_SciPDL_for_Release
> >> is empty
> >>
> >> Derek

Matthew Kenworthy / Assistant Professor / Leiden Observatory / NL
http://home.strw.leidenuniv.nl/~kenworthy/
Chris Marshall
2014-01-08 18:41:05 UTC
Mac PDL users/developers-

What is the status with the SciPDL release? I'm hoping
that a documented build/test/release process would improve
the ease and availability of future PDL releases for the Mac.

It would be useful to generate the docs for the process with
a SciPDL-2.007 release (Matt?). Then another PDL Mac
user/developer (Derek?) could follow the directions to make
a release for the coming PDL-2.008. That should be a good
way to flush out any missing discussion or explanations. :-)

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Marshall
2014-01-21 20:26:19 UTC
bump

Derek Lamb
2014-01-21 20:33:24 UTC
Waiting on instructions from Matt. I'm sure he has notes somewhere but I can't seem to pry them out of his hands.

MATT!! Even unpolished notes would give me a starting place!

Anyway, I have Snow Leopard, but I'd be willing to upgrade to Mavericks to get this done.

Derek

Matthew Kenworthy
2014-01-21 21:36:27 UTC
Hi all,

I've been trying to build the static version, but I'm stuck on some
irritations with F77 not compiling cleanly. Here's the pod on the
compilation for SciPDL - anyone who can help me, I'd appreciate it!

Cheers,

Matt

Derek Lamb
2014-01-21 22:09:01 UTC
thanks! nearly 1000 lines of POD: I'll see what I can do.

Maggie X
2014-02-20 02:13:03 UTC
Any progress here? I recently got forced onto a mac and when I tried to
install PDL today I couldn't find any SciPDL binaries... Top google results
pointed to PDL source on sourceforge.

Best,
Maggie

Craig DeForest
2014-02-20 03:19:23 UTC
I currently use Brew for perl and toolchain, and git for pdl itself. Setting up a brew file for PDLwouldn't be hard apparently but I have too many unfinished projects lying around already.

(Mobile)

Chris Marshall
2014-02-20 11:51:34 UTC
A "brew file" for PDL seems like a convenience for gurus
and not an out-of-the-box solution for non-expert users
wishing to start with PDL.

--Chris

Derek Lamb
2014-02-20 14:30:40 UTC
As an update:

I have a VirtualBox with OS X 10.9 Mavericks cleanly installed, all of the development tools, and figuring out how to make a Mac package. Unfortunately, at some point Apple has deprecated PackageMaker.app, which was used to bundle all of SciPDL together. Hoping that it will still work for one more iteration.

So yes, SciPDL work is progressing, but only when I can cobble together a half-hour at a time in between teaching, grading, kids, etc.

best,
Derek

Chris Marshall
2014-02-20 17:07:06 UTC
On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 9:30 AM, Derek Lamb <***@boulder.swri.edu> wrote:
> As an update:
>
> I have a VirtualBox with OS X 10.9 Mavericks cleanly installed, all of the
> development tools, and figuring out how to make a Mac package. Unfortunately,
> at some point Apple has deprecated PackageMaker.app, which was used to
> bundle all of SciPDL together. Hoping that it will still work for one more iteration.

Any reason we're not using a bundle instead of an installer? The directions
won't help much if the PackageMaker.app disappears before the PDL-2.008
release...

-chm

Derek Lamb
2014-02-20 17:45:38 UTC
Ignorance, maybe?

On the other hand--"An application that installs kernel extensions, startup items, system-wide preference panes, or any other system-wide resources cannot be installed [as a bundle] by dragging the application, since those resources need to be in a separate place on the drive."

Since we're using the system perl and installing extra perl libs into /usr/local/lib, then that is probably why we are using an installer. PackageMaker.app was deprecated by Apple in favor of some command-line utils, so the functionality is still there.

If we wanted to zip up our own perl & ship it with, then we could probably use a bundle, and that would get around the problem of SciPDL only working on one version of OS X.... that's less of an issue now since Mavericks is a free upgrade, but some people (incl. me) haven't bitten the bullet yet.

Derek

Maggie X
2014-03-04 19:41:13 UTC
So. I'm a dummy. I just figured out how to install PDL and PDL::Stats on my
mac. Turns out 'cpan PDL' (or cpan anything) didn't work for me because I
didn't have make etc installed. Xcode provides a 'command line tools'
package, which provides make etc. commands. I was then able to install PDL
(the core packages anyways).

Maggie

Chris Marshall
2014-04-10 13:18:00 UTC
HI Derek/Mac Users/Developers-

How are things going with SciPDL building?

I'm giving myself a deadline to finish the 64bit index
support for a PDL-2.008 release (maybe candidate)
before the DCBPW and the PDL3 hackathon. That
way any talks, planning, and coding can look
forward rather than backward at PDL-2.x issues.

It would be great to have a SciPDL-2.008 to go with.

--Chris

Matthew Kenworthy
2014-04-10 13:37:56 UTC
I'm cautious to raise false hopes, but I finally worked out some of my
static building issues yesterday. If a mac guru can give me a hint on
how to use the new command line package manager, I think I'm close to
a new SciPDL build.

Matt

Derek Lamb
2014-04-10 20:09:59 UTC
excellent. I have been barely able to keep my head above water teaching this semester. Thankfully final exams are in less than 3 weeks.

The most promising thing I found way back when was:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11487596/making-os-x-installer-packages-like-a-pro-xcode4-developer-id-mountain-lion-re

Other than that, I'm sorry to say that I'm not of much of use at the moment.

Derek

Chris Marshall
2014-04-22 14:38:13 UTC
Any further progress, Matt?

Chris Marshall
2014-06-18 19:40:11 UTC
Saw the recent post by Karl. Does that mean a SciPDL for PDL-2.007
is almost ready for prime time?

--Chris