[Pdl-porters] [Perldl] PDL / PGPLOT on Mac OS X Mavericks
Karl Glazebrook
2014-06-15 01:37:09 UTC
Hi Matt, (CC developers)

I've just upgraded to Mavericks myself and had to go through the usual palaver described below.

I am getting quite fed up and I imagine you are too with having to re-do SciPDL every time Apple releases a new OS point each year.

How about we make a version which includes our own version of perl? It could live in /usr/local/pdl or something.

I am happy to have a go sometime in the next few months...

Karl

On 21 Nov 2013, at 11:25 pm, Nick Wright <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, with all three steps from your first email.
>
> nick
>

> On 20 November 2013 22:17, Karl Glazebrook <***@swin.edu.au> wrote:
> Nick
>
> That's with the perl symlink?
>
> - Karl
>

> On 21 Nov 2013, at 1:41 am, "Nick Wright" <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Matt, Karl
>>
>> Thank you both, that new version of SciPDL installed straight away and works perfectly with pgplot. I had to do nothing else so that was very rewarding after struggling for 2-3 days.
>>
>> Thank you both very much!
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Nick
>>

>> On 20 November 2013 11:01, Matthew Kenworthy <***@strw.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
>> The last build of SciPDL can be downloaded at:
>>
>> http://home.strw.leidenuniv.nl/~kenworthy/bin/SciPDL-v2.4.10-Lion.pkg.zip
>>
>> I'll upgrade to Mavericks and see how a rebuild will go.
>>
>> matt
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 4:35 AM, Karl Glazebrook <***@swin.edu.au> wrote:
>>
>> On 20/11/2013, at 1:48 AM, Nick Wright <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > Thanks for the quick reply. I've given your steps a try:
>> >
>> > (1) install the latest SciPDL (NOT SciKarl as this dates back to Lion or something) which works with perl 5.12. Note you seem to be several versions back so I am guessing you upgraded straight from Lion or something?
>> >
>> > Actually its a new Mac so its a 'fresh' install of OS X Mavericks - the older versions may be an indication that I found the wrong programs to install on the internet.
>>
>> OK
>>

>> > I found PDL-2.007 following a link for SciPDL and then used 'cpan install PDL' as suggest in the INSTALL file. This appears to have worked fine.
>>
>> Err just install SciPDL. Nothing else, no cpan
>>
>> Unfortunately it seems to have vanished from that directory... will chase up Matt Kenworthy who was looking after this
>>

>> > (2) sudo ln -s /usr/bin/perl5.12 /usr/local/bin/perl
>> >
>> > (3) make sure /usr/local/bin is at the front of your PATH.
>> >
>> > By 'front' I presume you mean at the beginning of the list from 'echo $PATH'? At the moment Scisoft was pushing /usr/local/bin off the front, so I have now restored it to the front. I note that now /usr/local/bin appears twice in my PATH, once at the beginning and once halfway through - does that matter?
>>
>> Yes. I would not dare run PDL with scisoft enabled BTW.
>> >
>> > Then 'perl script' ought to work. For 'perldl' you will have to edit the #! line. (Though you can do 'perl /usr/local/bin/perldl' too).
>> >
>> > Still getting the same error unfortunately. How should I edit the #! line (at the moment it reads ( #!/usr/bin/perl -w )
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >
>> > Nick

>> --
>> Matthew Kenworthy / Assistant Professor / Leiden Observatory / NL
>> http://home.strw.leidenuniv.nl/~kenworthy/

----------------
Karl Glazebrook
Director & Distinguished Professor
Centre for Astrophysics & Supercomputing, Swinburne University of Technology
Contact: +61-3-9214-4384 ***@swin.edu.au
astronomy.swin.edu.au/karl galacticturmoil.org @karlglazebrook
Karl Glazebrook
2014-10-22 22:59:56 UTC
Hi PDL porters

What are the perl versions (default and legacy) installed on Yosemite?

Karl

Tim Jenness
2014-10-22 23:15:56 UTC
5.18.2 and 5.16.3

Karl Glazebrook
2014-10-22 23:39:36 UTC
OK - I am using SciPDL on Mavericks with perl 5.12 (one behind the default version), and that is no longer going to be present.

Sounds like it is time to rebuild for 5.18.

Matt do you have time?

sigh...

Karl

Craig DeForest
2014-10-22 23:17:44 UTC
Funny you should ask -- I just upgraded. perl 5.18.2 is the default.

They still have the effing broken libreadline installed by default. I'm using brew these days, so I forced brew to link gnu readline into /usr/local -- but then I still had to hack into the CPAN install procedure for Term::ReadLine::Gnu to get it to find those libraries and not the broken default system ones. There's also a Term::ReadLine::EditLine now, that works with the default libraries -- but it sucks. T::R::E has no edit history as near as I can tell, and also a tendency to segfault in the child on fork/exec operations (which breaks a lot of things).

I also had difficulty getting libgd to work well (required for gnuplot), but that appears to be a problem with libgd's self-configurator libgd-config so it may go away one day.

Everything else worked just fine. Brew even has pgplot (not the -cd4 patch unfortunately), and it installed easily.

/usr/bin/perl -V gives:

Karl Glazebrook
2014-10-23 00:18:10 UTC
When I was maintaining SciPDL I always downloaded the official readline, built it and linked that in

- Karl

Matthew Kenworthy
2014-10-24 10:51:14 UTC
One issue is that PackageManager is now missing from Mac OS X - any
suggestions from the developers as to how to distribute SciPDL from now on?

Matt

Karl Glazebrook
2014-10-25 01:31:06 UTC
Yes advice here would be really really appreciated.

Maybe we should go back to just doing an untar! Though it is a shame to lose the click through interface

- Karl

Chris Marshall
2014-10-25 16:08:27 UTC
Hi MacOSX PDL-ers!

It would be nice to get the long sought recipe for SciPDL
documented so we can implement a less ad hoc way to
roll out SciPDL updates.

--Chris

Matthew Kenworthy
2014-10-25 18:01:47 UTC
Hi Chris,

I've posted the recipe a couple of times to the list in the previous year -
it hasn't changed since then. If you want me to send it to you, let me know.

Cheers,

Matt

Chris Marshall
2014-10-25 18:21:32 UTC
That would be great. I'm pretty sure I never got one from you. Thanks, Chris.

Derek Lamb
2014-10-25 19:17:42 UTC
ditto on both counts. I have a Virtual Box set up that could do this, if I could (take the time to) figure out the packaging part of it.

Matthew Kenworthy
2014-10-26 05:07:15 UTC
OK, here's the compilation instructions for Lion and Maverick.

Cheers,

Matt

Ed .
2014-10-26 11:30:09 UTC
This stuff ought to be a script supplied with the standard PDL distribution, rather than a secret whispered from elder to favoured scion.

Matthew Kenworthy
2014-10-26 20:32:35 UTC
Hi Ed,

It wasn't meant to be a secret :) The prescription I've sent around is for
a very specific compilation of PDL - one that attempts to build completely
static libraries for a one-shot installer for the Mac systems. To be
honest, pulling PDL down through CPAN or one of the other package managers
will play more nicely with whatever configuration you have.

If you are interested in taking on the support of building SciPDL, I'd be
more than happy for you to do it. I'm using PDL less and less these days,
so my motivation to build it is correspondingly declining.

Best,

Matt

Ed .
2014-10-26 23:17:43 UTC
Hi Matt,

I would be very open to taking that on, except Chris has some aversion to accepting patches from me that would make that entirely pointless.

Cheers,

Karl Glazebrook
2014-10-29 06:27:07 UTC
Brave talk!

I'd really like to see a better way of supporting this

- Karl

Chris Marshall
2014-10-29 17:27:23 UTC
Hi Ed-

PDL development is not a "my way or the highway" approach.
Here is a statement of my understanding of the process from
an earlier attempt to get PDL developer feedback and input
on the pdl-porters list:

http://mailman.jach.hawaii.edu/pipermail//pdl-porters/2014-August/006373.html

I don't believe your statement about submitting patches or
other PDL contributions is either fair or accurate.

Regards,
Chris